You are here:
The Iso Lomso fellowship
Be part of a cohort of Africa’s brightest upcoming researchers.
Next round opens:
Iso Lomso means ‘the eye of tomorrow’ in isiXhosa: seeing towards the future, laying the foundations for tomorrow. The programme is aimed at African scholars who have obtained a doctoral degree within the preceding seven years and who hold an academic position at a university or research institution anywhere in Africa. Candidates should have established a research programme and have completed a post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent post-PhD programme. All disciplines are considered.
Residence at STIAS
A three-year attachment to STIAS during which time you may spend a total of 10 months in residence at STIAS to develop and pursue a long-term research programme
Links to sister institutions
The possibility of a residency at a sister institute for advanced study in North America, Europe or elsewhere
Funding to attend up to two international conferences or training workshops anywhere in the world
Your own workshop
Support to convene a workshop with collaborators at STIAS
Support for your institution
Lecturer replacement subsidy for the fellow’s home institution during residency periods
- an economy return flight;
- comfortable accommodation within walking distance from the institute;
- individual offices equipped with a PC, telephone and printer;
- a monthly stipend for daily living costs;
- access to the Stellenbosch University library (including electronic resources) and a high-speed internet connection;
- participation in the regular STIAS fellows programme, including daily lunch, weekly fellows’ seminars, STIAS public lectures and social events;
- a child care subsidy for fellows accompanied by young children while in residence.
- a subsequent residency at a sister institute for advanced study or relevant research institution in North America, Europe or elsewhere (this will form part of the ten months’ residency allocation; the fellow’s preferences for potential host institutions will be considered);
- funding to attend up to two relevant academic conferences or research training events (covering travel, accommodation and participation fees);
- limited project funding for key interventions in the research programme;
- the possibility of hosting a workshop at STIAS together with peers from Africa and abroad (possibly involving regular STIAS fellows) on key matters related to the research programme, as a means of strengthening the fellow’s scholarly network and research impact.
- be a national of any African country;
- be born after the 1st of January 1978;
- have an affiliation at a research or higher education institution in an African country, and continue to do so for the foreseeable future;
- have obtained a doctoral degree from any recognised higher education institution (worldwide) after the 1st of January 2013;
- have completed a post-doctoral fellowship or equivalent post-PhD research programme;
- be in a position to commence a first period of residency at STIAS during the second half of 2020 or the first half of 2021.
- Level: the applicant’s academic excellence and the originality and scholarly strength of the proposed research project;
- Innovation: the project’s promise of new insights and the potential to produce new knowledge;
- Interdisciplinarity: whether the project methodology allows for drawing from different disciplines and its potential to facilitate an interdisciplinary discourse;
- Relevance: the project’s relevance for scholarship and knowledge production in Africa;
- Feasibility: whether the research design and the research plan are convincing and realistic.
- gender representation;
- diversity of nationalities;
- diversity of disciplines;
- participation in previous or current research projects;
- previous international experience.
- Application deadline: 15 October 2019
- Shortlist selection: 20 December 2019
- Final selection: 31 January 2020
Shortlisted candidates may be contacted during January 2020 for any additional information that may be required about their proposed projects. A final selection will be made by the end of January 2020 and successful candidates will be contacted during February 2020. These dates may change and will be updated on this page.
- A motivational cover letter of not more than one page in length. The letter should include a description of the applicant’s academic career, detailing the ideas and experiences that have shaped and motivated his or her intellectual work.
- A pre-proposal for a three-year research project. This is a short essay of two to three pages which provides (i) a summary of the applicant’s current research/work, (ii) the main thesis of the proposed research project, including the problem statement and aim of the project, (iii) an overview of existing literature and other sources for the project, (iv) the project’s theoretical background and methodological approach, (v) the significance/relevance of the project for African scholarship, and (vi) a provisional time framework with proposed periods of residency at STIAS, additional activities, and research outputs.
- One or two recent writing examples authored by the applicant (articles or book sections) related to the proposed project.
- A copy of the applicant’s doctoral certificate.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s home institution (either from the head of department, dean of faculty, principal of college, or equivalent).
- Two letters of recommendation from scholars who are familiar with the applicant’s work, preferably one from the applicant’s current home institution and one from another institution. The letter should be printed on an official institutional letterhead and should include the name of the recommender, the academic position of the recommender, an indication of how long and in what capacity the recommender has known the applicant, and an evaluation of the merit of the applicant’s proposed project and ability to complete the proposed work during three years. The letters of recommendation will be confidential and should be sent by the recommender directly to [email protected]