The main objectives are to:
- Advance the cause of science and scholarship across all disciplines and invest in the intellectual future of the country and the continent;
- Focus on Africa;
- Provide an independent space where innovative ideas and original thinking can thrive.
The following differentiators position STIAS unique among research institutions:
- STIAS is the first institute of its kind in Africa and is modeled on successful examples of Institutes of Advanced Study elsewhere in the world. The institute facilitates cutting-edge research for achieving breakthroughs in many fields. It caters for all disciplines and encourages the cross-pollination of ideas.
- The setting enhances ‘out-of-the-box’ thinking and values diversity as a creative asset.
- South Africa is in itself a crucible of diverse backgrounds, cultures, research traditions and life experiences, which makes it one of the most interesting research environments.
- It focuses on real life problems and searches for sustainable solutions for the challenges of the country and the continent.
- It believes in the potential of Africa as a leading contributor to the global research community and as a producer of new knowledge.