Following a preparatory Workshop on the same theme in November 2013, STIAS will convene a Roundtable on Mental Health challenges in Sub-Saharan Africa to examine ways in which this region’s mental health challenges can be met in the next twenty to thirty years.
The Roundtable will be held at STIAS (see map) over two days from 24 to 25 February 2014.
While the Workshop covered technical discussion of recent developments in the literature and in the relevant policy domains, the Roundtable will attempt to address the topic in terms of the unfolding options and implications to policy makers and practitioners, while at the same time creating opportunities for researchers to learn about the concerns and challenges faced by those trying to implement policies and by those directly affected by the policies and practices.
The theme for the Roundtable is Mental health challenges in sub-Saharan Africa: Moving to implementation. This initiative is linked to a broader research theme on “Health in Transition” which STIAS will promote over the next five years with the support of the Wallenberg Foundation.
- The Concept Note on the theme of the Roundtable is available here.
- Notes on the idea behind STIAS roundtables can be found here.
- The final programme for the Roundtable is available here.
- Notes to presenters and chairs can be found notes.
- For more information on STIAS “Health in Transition” research theme, click here.
- Location and tourist information on Stellenbosch is available here.