This call is now closed.
Update on the 2016 Call for Applications
For the 2016 call 250 eligible applications were received, representing 30 African countries. Of these, 63 were from women and 98 were from applicants aged below 40 years of age. The shortlist selection has been concluded and eight applicants have been selected. The shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further feedback and where necessary, interviews via Skype or video conference. The final selection will be made during September. We expect that the first cohort of Iso Lomso fellows will commence their fellowships in July 2017.
About Iso Lomso
Iso Lomso Fellowships provide an exceptional early career opportunity for Africa’s brightest minds in academia. Iso Lomso means ‘the eye of tomorrow’ in isiXhosa: seeing towards the future, laying the foundations for tomorrow.
Iso Lomso Fellows will enjoy:
- a three-year attachment to STIAS during which time they may spend a total of ten months in residence at STIAS to develop and pursue a long-term research programme;
- the possibility of a residency at a sister institute for advanced study in North America, Europe or elsewhere;
- funding to attend up to three international conferences or training workshops anywhere in the world;
- support to convene a workshop with collaborators at STIAS;
- lecturer replacement subsidy for the fellow’s home institution during residency periods.
The programme is aimed at African scholars who have obtained a doctoral degree within the preceding eight years and who hold an academic position at a university or research institution anywhere in Africa. Preference will be given to candidates who have established a research programme and have completed a post-doctoral fellowship. All disciplines are considered.
Applications are now closed
The applications documents of the 2016 call are available for information purposes:
For enquiries please contact:
Dr. Christoff Pauw
STIAS Programme Manager
Tel. +27 21 808 9331 (w)